Maintenance of different air conditioning systems, components of air systems, such as registers, louvres and diffusers, heat exchangers, condensate drain pans (drip pans), fan motors, and the air handling unit housing, is referred to as duct cleaning. These elements may get compromised with dust, pollen, or other material if not properly set up and regularly managed and serviced.
Although duct cleaning methods vary, standards have been set by air duct cleaning industry organizations, and we are here to answer all of your queries!
Common Questions about Air Duct Cleaning Answered
It is impossible to provide general advice about your home’s air ducts as you will need professionals to look at them and suggest the right course of action. However, we have attempted to answer all of the basic questions you may have regarding the procedure below.
When Should We Get Our Air Ducts Cleaned?
Generally, it is advised to get your air ducts cleaned every 3 years, but it also depends on many factors.
Other factors that may influence your decision to have your home’s air ducts cleaned include the following:
- Significant apparent mould growth within the duct’s hard surface (e.g., sheet metal).
- Vermin, such as mice, infest ducts (rodents or insects)
- Ducts are blocked with excessive dust, dirt, and/or particles that can be discharged into the home through supply registers.
- If members of your family have strange or inexplicable symptoms or diseases that you believe are connected to your home environment, you may want to get your air ducts cleaned, too, as they can harbour many diseases. Also, don’t forget to consult your doctor.
- If you feel that your HVAC system is not performing at its best.
How Do I Pick A Duct Cleaning Service?
Do not make the mistake of assuming that all air duct cleaning service companies are equally good and responsible. Before getting your ducts cleaned, consult with at least three service providers and obtain written quotations. When the service providers arrive at your house, request them to evaluate the whole space and share how they plan to remove all the pollution in the ducts.
- Do not employ duct cleaners that make broad claims regarding duct cleaning’s health advantages; such claims are unproven. Do not engage duct cleaners that propose duct cleaning as a regular component of HVAC system maintenance.
- Check references to ensure that previous clients were happy and had no difficulties with their HVAC unit after cleaning.
- Inquire with the service provider if they have any appropriate state licenses.
- Interview possible service providers to confirm that they have sufficient air duct cleaning experience and have worked on systems similar to yours, and will utilize measures to safeguard you, your pets, and your house from contamination.
What Can I Anticipate From An Air Duct Cleaning Service?
If you decide to have your air ducts cleaned, the service provider should do the following:
- Allow the whole system to be cleaned and inspected by opening access ports or doors.
- During cleaning, examine the system to ensure no contaminant substances (e.g., insulation, etc.) are in the system’s heating and cooling.
- During cleaning, protect the carpet and home items.
- To remove dust and other particles from duct surfaces, use well-controlled brushing in combination with contact vacuum cleaning.
- For fibreglass duct boards and sheet metal ducts that are internally lined with fibreglass, only use soft-bristled brushes.
- Take precautions to safeguard the duct work, including sealing and re-insulating any access holes made or utilized by the service provider.
How Can I Tell If The Duct Cleaner Did A Good Job?
A comprehensive visual check is the best method to ensure your heating and cooling system is clean. All system parts should be visually clean; no debris should be visible to the naked eye. Some service companies employ remote photography to document duct problems.
When it comes to hiring a service provider for cleaning your home’s air duct system, conducting thorough research and choosing wisely can go a long way for you and your family. For the best air duct cleaning services and experience, choose a reliable and experienced duct cleaning company like KW DUCT Cleaning that carries the needed skills and equipment.